I am not generally a sweet candy type of person, but these spicy ginger chews are so addictive. Next time, I would up the ginger content even more. I want them to burn!
– 2 cups sugar
– 1 cup corn syrup (I used dark corn syrup, next time I’ll try molasses or honey for a more interesting flavor)
– 2 tablespoons corn starch
– 5-6 ounces of fresh ginger root, or enough to make ¼ cup juice
– 1 tablespoon of finely grated ginger root
– dash of sea salt
– 1 teaspoon vanilla
– 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Combine the sugar, syrup and corn starch in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Let simmer until a candy thermometer reaches 265F. Remove from the heat and stir in the ginger juice, grated ginger, salt, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar. The mixture will sputter, so be careful. Stir to combine and then pour into candy molds, onto parchment paper or non-stick baking mats dusted with corn starch or tapioca flour. Let cool and dust with more flour to keep from sticking. Store in an airtight container or wrap individually in waxed paper.