I’m prepping for the 4th of July already, and, for me, that means condiments. This spicy fennel relish is tangy and crunchy and going fast… I hope there is some left for the 4th!
– 3 fennel bulbs, 1/4 to 1/2 dice
– 1.5 cups white wine vinegar
– 1 cup water
– 2 teaspoons salt
– 1 tablespoon sugar
– 5 whole peppercorns
– 2 tablespoons brown mustard seeds
– 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
– 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
– zest of 1 orange and 1 lemon
– juice of 1 lemon
– 2 bay leaves
Combine all ingredients except for fennel into a small saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar. Pack chopped fennel into a glass jar and pour the hot liquid over, pressing down on the fennel to submerge. Let sit overnight, keep in fridge for up to 1 month.